Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Back to cassettes ? ...

I am using cassette & reel-to-reel to archive my vinyl, in the last 2 years I have recorded about 800 cassette tapes and over 100 10.5" reel to reel tapes. When using a metal cassette with dolby S it is impossible to tell the difference between the source and the tape, if there is a difference I can't hear it. When using a chrome cassette with dolby S there is a slight difference in the high end, but not very much and you can only really hear it when switching from source to tape.

Also I have no problem playing tapes recorded on my Dragon on other machines a Tandberg 3014 and Revox B215 they sound great. I have had all my decks serviced and calibrated. Even when I play tapes recorded on my Dragon on my 3-head Sony or Aiwa decks they sound very good.

I record all tapes on the Dragon using dolby B, which to my ears is better then dolby C which does seem to have issues when played on other decks. I found that I prefer the sound of my Dragon when recording on chrome or normal cassettes and the sound of my Sony deck K909ES when recording to metal tapes.

If you have not heard cassettes played on a properly calibrated and serviced cassette deck you have not heard how good cassette tapes can sound.

Jeff
We’re Burning Daylight

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Back to cassettes ? ... - Dogface1956 14:31:05 05/24/13 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.