Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Tube Tape Head Step Up Transformer

Hello again Steve and thank you so much for responding. I will certainly pass on this information you've shared. The tech says the heads on my Tascam 42B are low impedance (30 ohms). This was a concern from the start. Also, I am not sure the 12AX7's was the best tube to use. Mind you, this tape head pre amp was based on a phono pre amp he built several years ago. On that pre amp he used the 12AX7 tubes which worked find for cartridges putting out volts instead of milivolts. Now, my thinking is that a high quality transformer at the input using EF86 tubes will be a big improvement. At least I am hoping this will be the case.

Steve your imput is always welcomed. My friend, I am just looking forward to getting this tape head pre amp into my system and play some tapes. By the way, I still have the Tascam 32-2B which is in excellent shape, but I want to hear what my 42B can do while playing great music.

bob
An African American audio, classical & jazz music lover. I love all great jazz, classical and folk music. Am also a lover of 1/2 track (15ips) reel to reel tape decks.

Edits: 03/20/13

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tube Tape Head Step Up Transformer - Music Man Bob 15:12:44 03/20/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.