Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Speed range needed according to tapes to be played back

Sorry but it's really a load of garbage. There are extremely careful mastering engineers out there like Bruce Brown who have made 2XDSD and all types of high rez files. The 15 ips/2 track tape still wins out in all cases. I've been privy to comparisons of the second gen tape vs a digital file of the the second gen tape and guess what?

The digital file is not a mirror image. Not even close. So much for your argument about the colorations. The digital should perfectly reproduce the analog colorations but clearly it didn't. The biggest deviations were in the upper octaves where the high rez file just sounded threadbare, a loss of tonality and in the ability to give a realistic three dimensional representation of a singer or instrument.

I also noted you did not provide your reference system.These comparisons I referred to were carried out on a very high quality system consisting of the Dartzeel amps and preamp, a modded Studer 810 and the Playback Design MPD-5 DAC and Mac music server and Evolution Acoustics MM2 speakers.
Myles B. Astor

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.