Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Are Tandberg Decks Known To Be Unreliable?

After the long going saga with my 3014A deck, Im getting frustrated with it. The deck has been to the tech twice and may need yet another visit. And the deck was rebuilt to as much as it could be with what was available to the tech. My deck seems to be very finicky with the tapes it uses and likes to either crease tapes or just lose tension causing the sound to drop out. And the motors have been rebuilt. Plus the capstans and heads cleaned.

From what I've read over quite a few owners and techs who have worked on these decks, it seems the most common complaint is they are very unreliable. The only exception to this is Dolph who has gone on record saying he's never had a problem with his Tandberg. But the overall opinion seems to suggest otherwise. Im tempted to send the deck back to the tech and then sell it. But I know I'll never recoupe the money I've spent on the deck which kind of pisses me off. I've had this happen to me on an Aiwa deck before too. I lost $1300 when I sold that deck.

Sad thing is- is the 3014A deck is the best sounding deck I've ever heard, which doesn't make me want to get rid of it for something else. Its hard to replace what some people call the best consumer made deck in the world. So I'd like opinions on owners or techs who know these decks. What is your opinion on Tandbergs?

Dolph- I hate to say it- but your experiences with these decks don't seem to be the norm.

Edits: 01/13/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Are Tandberg Decks Known To Be Unreliable? - Braxus 18:48:15 01/13/12 (34)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.