Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Need Help with replacing capstan belt on Akai GX-77

I could use some advise and/or decent on how to replace the capstan belt on an Akai GX-77.
I rencently picked up a NICE GX-77 from Craig's list, but found that the capstan belt was getting weak and would occasionally be thrown off.
I've been able to get ahold of the user and service manuals and a set of belts. I've torn the deck down to where all of the covers are off and such and have been able to change the belts for the reels. I am however a little puzzled on which way to go, to get after the capstan belt. I see that there's a brass stand-off for the capstan motor mounting that will have to be removed or at freed at one end to free up the capstan belt. Getting to these screws looks like a bit of an issue.
If someone has done this on this model, I'd like to know if it's better to remove the large cross member from the top that would also remove the power transformer, or come in from the back by removing the syscom board.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Schwenn-o

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Need Help with replacing capstan belt on Akai GX-77 - Schwenn-o 13:26:33 03/31/09 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.