Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: even the (double) blind engineer can explain without appeal to "transient resolution"

I believe that the bar for avoiding false positives in double blind testing is higher than commonly appreciated and would certainly closely scrutinize any audio experiment's methods section

I am puzzled by the leap to explanations involving "ultrasonic hearing" (by current standards of 20-25 KHz upper limit) when established amplitude variation detection limits can explain Mr Curl's filter difference example and should be considered in this experiment's analysis as you point out

Does anyone here (now that jj has left) know enough to state that these results are "unexpected" in light of current understanding of nonlinear mechanisms in the ear

(i gots my dB's wrong, but not enough to invalidate the point; -0.1 @ 5.4 KHz, and -0.5 dB @ 12 KHz are expected to be audible differences)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: even the (double) blind engineer can explain without appeal to "transient resolution" - jcox 21:13:02 08/27/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.