Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Are there any "issues" with the use of a transformer in place of an output coupling cap (to stop DC)?

I am considering using coupling transformers, in place of coupling caps, on the output of a phono stage. But I have a few Qs: :-))

The spec sheet for the Lundahl LL1527 says it has a 0.4dB loss at the mid-band.
Q1: Does this imply the loss is different at different frequencies?

The spec sheet also specifies some particular input & output impedances for the loss & frequency extension figures it quotes - source 800ohms, load 4Kohms. This seems to me to not be compatible with the real-world situation which a phono stage finds itself in ... a phono stage feeds a line-stage preamp ... which is likely to have a Zin of 10-50Kohms?

Q2: Will this different load change the behaviour of the transformer? In particular, will it worsen its performance - in terms of loss & frequency extension?

Q3: The source impedance, also, is around 25ohms (not 800ohms) - so will this affect the performance of the transformer?

Thanks for any input,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Are there any "issues" with the use of a transformer in place of an output coupling cap (to stop DC)? - andyr 15:18:07 12/18/12 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.