Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: C-J PF-R preamp: "All digital IC's are blown, not worth repairing"

First, I'll agree.....get an electrician out there with a MEGGER to check your ground connection.

Next, price out a whole-house surge protector. maybe 400$ installed? I'd hope not much more.
You may want to find out how much to install or retrofit ALL grounded outlets. And while you're at it....you might consider an upgrade to 100 amp service. It will pay dividends to your stereo listening.......with that dedicated circuit you'll install at the same time.

Next, The device in point of use surge protectors.....outlet strips and the like....even higher end....are devices called MOVs = Metal Oxide Varisters.
They'll take a good bashing and DO NOT conduct until the conduction voltage is reached than they arc thru. They are connected hot to ground or hot to neutral. These devices DO wear out over time, even if not zapped bigtime. The repeated turn on surges eats into capactity and lifetime.

The good news is that MOVs are dirt cheap. A technician should be able to replace them in the event they've been zapped. The capacity is usually measured in Joules with each device being a part of the whole. You may need to replace several of 'em.

Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: C-J PF-R preamp: "All digital IC's are blown, not worth repairing" - pictureguy 20:07:28 11/22/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.