Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Resistor noise on AUDIO applications

Many resistors in solid-state amplifiers, such as collector load resistors or resistors in the biasing chain, see DC voltage. Perhaps the most important location is in biasing chains, since any excess noise (such as pink flicker or whatever you want to call low-frequency noise that depends on DC flow) will get amplified. Motchenbacher and Fitchin, followed by Motchenbacher and Connelly, included "noiseless biasing" circuits to minimize the effect at the input of solid-state amplifiers. If you are building a passive attenuator, then there should be no DC on the resistors. Another important feature, at which the good Vishay bulk foil resistors excel, is voltage co-efficient of resistance, which directly produces distortion. The worst resistors for that purpose are very short surface-mount high-megohm resistors of mediocre materials. I have measured > 0.1% variation on 0805 resistors in the 10 to 50 megohm range, varying the voltage from 1 to 10 V on a good DC bridge (assembled of GR wire-wound decade boxes).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Resistor noise on AUDIO applications - TimFox 14:33:03 08/05/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.