Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: I'm Learning to Hate SAE

I had just the opposite experience with an old Kenwood integrated amp....the KA-6100, if I remember right.
I had just bought a power amp and needed a preamp. The matching pre for the amp was out of my $$ range, so I cracked into the Kenwood and got lucky. The preamp board was on the front panel and the power amp on the bottom.....with jumpers from one section to the other.
15 minutes of snip /snip ......solder / solder and I had seperated the sections and installed some jumper wires with RCAs on the end. I used this combo for a couple years and finally swapped up for a NAD Tuner/Preamp.

It would have been easy to go to the next level and pull the front off to get at the switches and attenuator.......

I HOPE you found the bottom of the barrel. I'd hate to think of what could be worse. From our FWIW it's worth department, cars are just as bad, if not worse. My wifes Taurus needed a half hour of surgury to change a rear tail lamp. I don't remember dealer 'hours', but taking apart the trunk liner and doing the 8 or 10 sealed hold down nuts was a real treat. for a 1$ bulb.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I'm Learning to Hate SAE - pictureguy 11:42:46 07/14/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.