Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Crossover help

You don't 'push' watts. The speakers take what they need based on your level control. The tweeters in a 30 watt RMS stereo? If they ever see even 10 watts, you've got problems. And that would be at absolute redline. Under normal contiions, a 10 watt power resistor would be overkill, even on your proposed 80 watt system. IF you don't play it any louder than you do now.
BTW the difference between 30 and 80 watts is not as huge as you may think from the numbers.
It breaks down like this:: IF the tweeter is 4 ohms resistive and you add 1 ohm resistor, the new circuit is 5 ohms of which is divided 80%/20% in power dissipation.

If you want new parts, to build a crossover, try Madisound or Parts Express. I believe they have a help service ($$?) for the DIY guy to help with crossover design.

Also, my panels with about a 4 ohm high frequency section comes with 1 ohm resistors which I do not install. 8ohms? vast overkill. Many panel users who DO use resistors will parallel resistors to end up with less than 1 ohm. I doesn't take much.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Crossover help - pictureguy 14:47:31 04/02/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.