Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Resistor noise on AUDIO applications

Megalomaniac,

I asked the same question in this thread, hope it helps.
Basically, the thermal noise of any resistor depends only on the resistance not the material the resistor is made of. There are claims that some resistor materials generate additional noise on top of the thermal noise - I would expect any additiona noise to be uncorrelated to the thermal noise so the total noise will be dominated by the largest contributor (noise sums in rms fashion). My gut feeling is that thermal should dominate but I have no direct experience of noise other than thermal in resistors.

Vishay bulk foil have had a reputation for special performance for many years. The only objective justification I have seen for this is that they are 'low noise' and have low tempco and voltage coefficients (little change of resistance with temperature and little change of resistance as the voltage across the resistor varies). I would think these factors are not significant in most audio designs.
Note that Vishay manufactures a wide range of components and, IMO, manufacturers boast 'Vishay' resistors in their products when they are probably fairly ordinary resistor types.

Regards
13DoW

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.