Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

My first SS repair, I need some help

I'm fixing a Denon PMA-520. I think that's the model but not sure it's not in front of me.

It had a bad output transistor.

I ordered 4 new output transistors. It's prudent right? just thinking outloud. Can I just change the bad one out? Do they wear out?

I am changing the 4 output caps to slightly higher capacitance and voltage ratings. Probably not necessary but I hope it gives it another life.

I plan to rebias once I power it on. It has four pots and I need to trace them in the schematic but I assume they are for bias and dc offset.

If all go well and no fires start and for some reason I can get all the voltages right, fingers crossed, do I run it in and then rebias? How do you break in SS?

I also need the white insulation/ heat / gasket type stuff for between the transistors and heat sinks. Where can I get it? I spoke to the tech at digikey ordering the parts and told him I need that goo but I got something else. Can I use rtv black? lol

Thanks for all the help.

I don't like fires.

Cheers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - My first SS repair, I need some help - henrybasstardo 17:59:37 05/19/10 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.