Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: So you can hear your neighbor playing music!!! My expereince...

Having been in a house for the last 9 months (and my second house), after spending time in two different apartments, I've learned a LOT about what others can hear, what I can hear from them, and building construction.

My first apartment after my separation and divorce, which was cinder block construction, was built like a bomb shelter! I could come home from work on the road at any time of day or night, turn on the stereo and play it about the volume most play a TV set at. A decent level, but no louder than conversation. Open the door into the hall and you could hear every one else's TVs! This was great for "back to mine" parties and such! NEVER had a complaint. I sometimes miss that place, just for the transitional time (or the "let me be a bachelor again" attitude of the time!

My next place, after marrying my high school sweetheart, was like living in a commune- everybody knew everybody else's volume habits. The building was made of wood and drywall. Conversations next door could be easily discerned. My downstairs neighbour had a mid-fi system with a timer as an alarm clock... SET FOR 4AM EVERY WEEK DAY. While this wasn't bad considering that my schedule shifted to having to be up before 6am every day myself, it annoyed the wife to no end (she worked completely different times from me and didn't get up until the later morning hours).

The last few days before we moved to our current house, I played the Telarc Stravinsky's Firebird suite a few times. Combined that with some serious trance and dance electronica, and they were glad that we were leaving!
Dman
Analog Junkie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: So you can hear your neighbor playing music!!! My expereince... - Dman 19:57:37 04/07/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.