Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Sputter/crackle in right channel of old Sony receiver

Model STR-AV500. Got it at thrift shop a couple of years ago for about $20, so it won't break my heart if it can't be fixed. Used it in outdoor system all summer of '08, it worked fine. Brought it indoors all winter, unplugged in the closet. Fired it up in May this year and there was immediately a loud, sporadic sputter and crackle in the right channel. Present with both A & B speaker outputs, and with headphones, with any source selected, whether or not there was a source component hooked up to those inputs. Signal comes through in that channel just fine, with no attenuation or distortion, but the sputter is there whether signal is present or not. The noise is not in any of the pots or switches, which have all been cleaned with Caig De-Oxit, but completely independent of them.

Could this be (A) a power supply cap going bad, (B) an output device going bad, or (C) something else going bad? Any suggestions where to start looking?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Sputter/crackle in right channel of old Sony receiver - caspian@peak.org 20:08:52 09/18/09 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.