Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Exactly exactly exactly !!

"I recently tried the new Kimber 8TC with my system ...it didn't work well (thin, strident, no weight). Then I tried the AudioQuest Type 4 ....improved, but not there yet. Then I went to a simple 12-gauge Ultralink and all was right."

I've been posting here about Kimber 8TC cable for a few years now. Not to bash Kimber as I do enjoy their KCAG interconnects, but I too find the 8TC speaker cables to be lacking in bass and overall somewhat "thin" sounding. I've tried this speaker cable on various gear including different SS and tube amps and different speakers. Same overall result.

I later tried relatively inexpensive Audioquest Slate speaker cables (often on sale bulk and terminated to order by Audio Advisor). This was a huge improvement over the Kimber 8TC and the Slate are much cheaper.

So I agree, there ARE differences in cables BUT more expensive cables are not necessarily any better than the cheaper cables.

I'm presently using DH Labs Air Matrix and Kimber KCAG interconnects and my speaker cables have been Analysis Plus Oval 9's for the past several years.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Exactly exactly exactly !! - AbeCollins 09:28:43 04/15/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.