Home Asylum Feedback/Support

Audio Asylum feedback, support and feature wish list.

RE: Man, that's a lot of bandwidth for just talkin' audio!

I recall at the time seeing sites nearly die or get corrupted with half as much traffic as we get. You think that most of them have figured out how to make it work better though at least one that was one of the worst has disappeared. The problem being that most of them rely completely on the db and doing maps from this to that to print a page. Once the system gets loaded up, there is just too much processing going on.

I've noticed that several sites using vBulletin archive off posts older than some date, so there must be a reason, probably because the main tables get too big. And their search is often very slow.

Initially, when we added the db, we definately had issues. Then, I added separate search tables for each forum. That solved most of the problems, but searching across all forums still used one huge table. So, I created another separate table for all forum search. A problem still remained with the main table primarily for backup because mysql does table locking in MyISAM files which you need to use for the fulltext search function.

In this release, I converted the main table and some new tables to INNODB which is more transactional with row level locking and a special forum/message number key. That seems to have made a big difference in performance. The Threads and eThreads views now use the db a lot, but I still caxhe a lot of data like the message threading that takes a lot of cycles to recreate from the db.

Throwing hardware at the problem does help scalibility. Right now, I think we could easily double or triple in size before we ran into major issues. The change to not arching old messages will likely become an issue at some point for the Threads and eThreads views. I'm not sure how many open threads they'll be able to handle before the get a performance hit.

-Rod

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Man, that's a lot of bandwidth for just talkin' audio! - Rod M 06:59:50 05/31/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.