Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

It's kinda bogus that they do it... but the practice is clearly spelled out on their site...

I pulled this directly from CDbaby's Privacy Policy. I think this section specifically pertains to your gripe:

WILL CD BABY SHARE ANY OF THE INFORMATION IT RECEIVES?
Information about our customers is an integral part of our business, and we may share such Information with our corporate parent or other affiliated entities. Except as expressly described below, we neither rent nor sell your Information to other people or nonaffiliated companies. We may share your Information when we have your permission, and we may share your Information under the following circumstances:

We provide Information, (i) to the content owners (e.g., artists and record labels) that relates to their fans (e.g., regarding which fans are consuming and sharing what pieces of media at what levels), subject to the ability of such fans to opt-out of promotional communications, and (ii) we may provide aggregate information to our partners about how our consumers or customers, collectively, use our site (e.g., we share this type of statistical data so that our partners also understand how often people use their services and our Website, so that they, too, may provide you with an optimal online experience). For the avoidance of doubt, when you purchase a particular artist's music, that artist will receive your name and e-mail address unless you opt-out of disclosing this information. An artist will also be able to identify the web page or link (included e-mail addresses to the extent a link was embedded in an e-mail) from which you have been referred to an artist's page on CD Baby.

Don't get me wrong... I cannot stand to do business with companies that practice this sort of thing, but it's not an invasion of privacy because, they did tell you they would do it. I think you've done all you can by asking that you be removed from their records.

I appreciate you posting this for us... I will be sure to avoid these guys.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.