Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

RE: Somebody HAD to get the last laugh…And the winner is. . .

All That Glitters? US Commerce Association Awards to Biz May Not Be What They Seem
As the press release posted as a warning to small businesses by the Better Business Bureau (to which this post is linked) makes clear, the USCA is running a scam meant to screw unsuspecting businesses.
It started sending out unsolicited emails to businesses during the first week of July, this year.
These emails are an attempt to phish for financial info, receive money paid to them to obtain the optional "Best of" plaque (vanity award), and god only knows what else.
However, it is not easy for the small business owner to discover this. Just ask the BBB.
It, the USCA (US Chamber of Commerce Association), really does exist in some form. And they are slick.
But, Geoff's not "punking" anyone.
He's the one who got punked.
Actually, the awards are real, in a sense.
It's just that they're meaningless.
Geoff's "press release" was posted July 8th. Just one day after the BBB article appeared on its website.
I doubt Geoff visits that site on a regular basis. But, who does?
Still, he really did receive an unsolicited award-- of a sort-- for which he did not pay.
So, he isn't telling any lies when he says he was awarded one.
And saying he received that award on his website is smart marketing, albeit a bit misleading.
Ironically, he's making money (?) off an attempt to rip him off.
I say, well done Geoff!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.