Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Re: Strongly Disagree

Posted by Gerry E. (A) on December 02, 2004 at 08:32:54

In Reply to: Ebay feedback posted by eso on December 1, 2004 at 21:06:52:

> More and more sellers are refusing to leave feedback until after the buyer leaves it.

That's because those sellers are smart.

> A buyer's obligation is complete upon payment for the auction, and should receive feedback at that time.

"A transaction is not complete until the buyer says that he/she is satisfied in the form of a positive feedback." If the seller leaves a positive feedback at the time the payment is received, then the BUYER now has all the leverage. They can demand an all or partial refund based on unrealistic expectations or totally false accusations and threaten a negative feedback if the demand is not met.

This is one of those issues that people are going to disagree about and you will never get a strong consensus, one way or the other.

You seem to be confused about a point of semantics here.

I stated that a buyer's obligation is fulfilled upon payment, and I maintain that to be the case.

You state that "A transaction is not complete until the buyer says that he/she is satisfied in the form of a positive feedback", and this is patially true, but is a seperate issue. Actually, the transaction is complete upon the buyer's receipt of the goods. The entire feedback issue is supposed to be one of honest self-policing by the buyers and sellers.

Can you honestly believe that the buyer has any obligation in the transaction beyond promptly paying for the goods? When I participate, that is all I have been legally contracted to do. I usually pay for items within hours of the close of an auction, and I have never left a negative feedback.

I did receive a negative from a seller that would not leave feedback until after I left it for him. The item was postmarked (i.e. mailed) 17 days after I had payed the auction with paypal the day the auction ended. During that time the seller did not respond to at least 4 different emails regarding shipping status. I ended up leaving a neutral feedback for him; the goods were as described but service was very poor. He left a negative in retaliation.

Is that fair? Ebay has become major commerce for many and the sellers are frequently resorting to this form of extortion to maintain ratings.

From your reply I take it that you sell on ebay...

eso

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.