Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: profit margin too low ...

I do agree with R and D being considered in the cost. But at what cost does it ever stop. Audio research is known for just that issue. As you pay for a product from them at the register they are already sending you a card in the mail for the latest upgrade. Or the latest R and D. If you have a good product at what point does it stop or does the cost not justify the benefits. I am sorry to say but I don't agree that point where R and D never stops and it has to be paid for for the entire life of the product.

Each time period one can say an improvement was made. But what it really. I really don't think the human ear can pick up what is being said about something.

I am certain DF's products are real good. But to justify that expense? Never in my lifetime.

I had a chance to buy an older pair of his amps at $3K and I turned it down because I never thought his amps are any better than what I own. But again! Maybe it's the associated equipment that makes it what it is, which I don't own.

I forget the builder(Bruce Berman I think) but he designed a 76 preamp to match with his horn system and in his house with his other equipment it sounded great. I built the same exact version the same exact way right down to the screws and it didn't do it for me with my equipment. I then put it into a friends system and he bought it from me. It too, sounded great with his equipment.

Point is! I do believe that along with DF's great amps it just might be the preamp(if one is used) and his speakers, room, and any associated things that make it all come together. I am not too sold on the wires issue but I am sure they do play a certain part in the sound. But to spend that kind of money on an unknown in one's system. Not in my lifetime unless maybe they can be demoed at the place I listen, which I am doubting they can be.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: profit margin too low ... - xaudiomanx 09:27:01 02/05/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.