Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Shielding Choice in SET Power Supplies

For a car analogy, you are asking whether all-weather tires are better than Corinthian leather seats. There can be no answer without more details.

OK, that was harsh - if you were distressed, I apologize in advance.

What I mean is, you have offered two solutions without identifying the problem. Presumably the problem is undesired noises, but they can have very many different sources, of very different magnitudes, and are highly variable between locations and systems. Having spent a career in noise control, I am excruciatingly aware that the noise you hear is the worst of many, and eliminating it reveals the next-worse one, which may or may not be nearly as bad.

A technical/scientific analysis would need tons of details and a LOT of effort. As DIYers, this is often quite impractical. The other answer is to try various potential solutions and see what changes they make. If you do your own experimenting, at least you know the conclusions are valid for your setup.

The things that work for one situation may not work in another, but if we all post what we've found to work, and as much detail as possible about the situation in which they worked, we can all save some time. That, IMHO, is the beauty of internet forums like this one.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.