Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: How much power do you need?

No offense to Sanders but he is selling low sensitivity electrostatic hybrids and he is selling his 1000 watt amps. At CES he was a few doors away from the Audio Note room. They were running an 18 watt Jinro on 95dbish speaker playing good recordings of thrash metal, trance, kinda stuff at room crushing levels. Sanders' room even with 1000 watt amps sounded completely anemic. He basically said the same thing to me that he said to you but I kept think - for Pete sake walk down the hallway and listen to that 18 watt amp - in every way imaginable it sounded vastly better - at modest volumes as well.

And yes I am a fan of AN but across the hall I could say the same thing for the DeVore Orangutan or the Teresonic Ingenium or the roo with the Trenner and Freidls - most using small watt tube amps and all playing better MUCH better at high volumes.

Think about this as well whenever you're confronted by someone trying to convince you that your system is poor and what they are selling is better - if they tell you you have to use a scope in order to tell if something is good or bad. So what they are saying is that it can't be heard right? I mean if you MUST use a scope and measure it to death to make their case it means that it can't be heard. If it can't be heard then who cares? And if it could be heard - why would you need to spend the time measuring it?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.