Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: How much power do you need?

Yes, that Roger Sanders. The paper is on his site.

You will see regular clipping on a scope. Which is why he recommended this test. Now, as I said, tubes don't really clip all that hard though. And, as I said, it would seem that that fact - which he points out in the article - undermines it.

He's basically saying, "If you look at a scope, you'll realize you need tons of power, and thus solid-state amps." I think he's missing one thing and wrong on one thing:

- The necessary power levels he asserts are overstated - perhaps by as much as an order of magnitude

- If soft-clipping doesn't look bad on a scope *it may well not sound bad either*.

My 45 DHSET amps are actually probably not even hitting 1W, even on peaks, even at loud levels. Distortion is still quite low at that level and is, of course, almost entirely consonant second-harmonic.

This jives with my subjective observations that more powerful amps do not sound more dynamic - at the levels I listen at (which, again, I call "loud") - or less distorted. In fact, in almost all cases, just the opposite.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How much power do you need? - PaulF70 20:00:52 09/09/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.