Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Many many problems

I think that a couple things could be at play there. But one of them is that there's no way that speaker is actually 97dB sensitive across the board - see link below.

If we are dealing with a 94.6 dB speaker, and let's say the single ended 6L6 puts out say 8 Watts (being generous), this gives a maximum SPL at 1m of about 103.6dB , but less so at bass frequencies.

Out in the middle of the room this is going to fall off to a much lower level, (for example, theoretically it would drop to about 93dB at three meters) depending on the listening position, and the amp is going to clip during peaks, if the music being played has any sort of dynamic range.

A 300B will put out a similar amount of power, which doesn't solve the "grunt" problem at all.

I bought Klipsch La Scalas to overcome the lack of dynamic range with my single ended amplifier, and it worked out well.

This is why I suggested a push-pull amplifier, the good ones sound excellent and really this speaker isn't sensitive enough for a single ended amp except for low level or non complex music of limited dynamic range.

Also note that this speaker is rated for 30 Watts, and capable of 90 Watt peaks. I bet if you connected it to a 50W amplifier it would really wake up, and you could use it to its potential instead of being stuck listening to amplifier clipping.

Edits: 03/16/16 03/16/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.