Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Need some opinions and maybe a lot of help with 300B design.

It's not so bad, just increase that 10uf input capacitor to say 40 or 50uF. Download PSUD and play around to get the right voltage level, you're on the right track. If you wanted a choke input power supply you would need a higher voltage transforner but considering this is a class "a" amp, which has little variation in current demand from zero to full load, the better voltage regulation of a choke input supply doesn't offer any real advantage and then you may have to deal with a buzzing choke.

Also, I have a couple other comments on the power supply

It's kind of arbitrary to go dual mono at the first choke - why not either go full mono with a separate power supply for each channel,l (considering the amount of iron in this amp, there's little reason not to) or just use a single power supply for both sides.

One more comment: layout is going to be really important here, there is tons of opportunity to pick up hum with all those transformers, so to be fool proof go for a big chassis with lots of space between the power supply and the amplifier transformers, and be careful not to make any ground loops.

Another thing I have to ask: what's the intention of the interstate transformer between the first two stages? It's a 1:1 transforner and isn't isolating DC due to the 1uf coupling capacitor.. I think it's a redundant component, couldn't you just use a grid reaistor on the second tube and cut that transformer out of the circuit ? Speaking of which, why use the choke on the first tube instead of a resistor for the plate load? It's not as though this stage needs to produce the extra output voltage a choke will permit, and it will introduce a low frequency pole which won't help the overall performance of the amplifier. Also, those coupling capacitors are way bigger than they need to be.. I didn't calculate values but I would expect 0,1uf - 0,47 to be absolutely fine, and still allow the transformers to dominate the low frequency roll off.

One final comment: a single ended 6L6 will make about the same amount of power as this amplifier, if what you're after is more "grunt" why not try say a 15 watt push-pull amplifier, I don't think 20% more or less power will make a material difference, you may want substantially more for the "grunt" you're after.

Edits: 03/14/16 03/14/16 03/14/16 03/14/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.