Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: That Was A Mistake!

Good bit of fluff/BS in that page. Particularly about WE284 vs. RCA 845, etc. It's not like consumers used these, and the folks that did (theaters) were more concerned with lifetime and cost than anything to do with the sound per se. Not only that, but of course WE didn't sell tubes or gear to anyone, it was always leased, and only to commercial clients (e.g. theaters, broadcasters, etc.) - thus no one was really tuberolling 845s back in the 1930s and the WE 284 never "set the new standard".

there's no real "replica" going on here. they are most similar to the GE-845 internal construction more than anything else. The tipped bulb looks cool but is only for looks, not function (there's a reason they stopped making tipped bulbs for these tubes in the 1930s or so.)

I will agree that WE 284s are certainly rare (though I do have a few) but the biggest differences with the early 845s and later ones were the metal plates (and limited dissipation) vs. the later graphite plates. Even WE switched to graphite plates for some of their 284s (and other similar tubes.)

-Ed

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.