Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Tango 211 Amp Repaired!

Two years later, and with elektron's help, I have finally completed repairing the 211 amp in this post: http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/7/75252.html

Here are some of the original images:

I broke the amp up into 4 quadrants, and completely reworked the top-right and lower-left ones. I replaced all caps everywhere, some wirewound resistors, and all other resistors. I also replaced the diodes and all the wiring and terminals in the reworked sections. Essentially, what remained from the original work are most of the wires connecting the different sections, and most of the small signal section. The new can capacitors are from Japan. My wife got them for me from Akihabara on a trip to Tokyo.

Of course, I wouldn't have been able to do much without the schematic which we luckily found in some of my father-in-law's papers. The 'layering' of the components in the B+ section was the most challenging. Needless to say, it's much more difficult to do this without a Bottlehead-style manual by one's side.

Here are some more new images:

Turning it on first was scary for me. The plate on the 211 is around 950V so it's no joke. elektron was with me on the phone. We raised the power slowly with a variac and tested bias V on the 211. I couldn't get any reading and I started getting worried. Then I realized I was testing with VAC. Once power was up at 100V, we dialed in the bias at the schematic's -56V and tested the plate voltages. All looked good. I then replaced the shorted inputs with a source. No music. elektron suggested I replace the 12AX7. Indeed that old tube I decided to test with was shot, and once I replaced it, we got music!

The volume pots are extremely scratchy so I will change those next. Also, there's some hum, but I haven't tweaked the 3 hum balanced knobs (there's one for the 12AX7 tube).

Thank you all who replied to the previous thread for your support and encouragement, and especially to elektron for his tremendous help throughout this process.
Cheers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Tango 211 Amp Repaired! - batriq 17:50:51 02/27/16 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.