Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: EZ LOW COST audio tweak to try at home, for SETs and H.E. speakers

Congratulations, you were the second person to comment with an open mind thus far.

No change on steel chassis. This is a throw-together chassis, with lovely 12 gauge welded corners sides, but a 14 gauge steel plate added as the top-plate, as I am re-sing the parts.

Steel also shields well.

I will likely go to 12 gauge steel, henceforth, on my future chassis designs. I have a local company laser cut to my spec, and bend / brake the chassis in their well equipped facility, and a local friend welds and die grinds the corners. Then, powder coating.

My power transformer is from a Dyna ST-70, and it is running at about 1/3 or so of its rated capability, about 70 mA. total, for both Type 45 channels. This stuff is so audible on ALTEC type systems, such as my 515Bs !!

Use felt where the bricks touch the chassis, or, better yet, wrap entire brick in felt, glued onto it. You run GPA drivers, you will hear the difference and want to KEEP the improvement me thinks !! Report back.

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.