Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: It's easy, IF your speakers meet certain requirements.

Dave,
I spent a fair amount of time with my system and absolute polarity. I can hear differences (somtimes virtually non existent and sometime fairly noticable) depending on the material. I certainly hear differences when I switch speaker connections, I also hear differences (although I think smaller) when I switch polarity at my DAC (which I can do from my chair with a remote).

But although I hear differences, I just do not listen to music that way (listen and the switch and then relisten). So I simply decided to insure that my system was correct throught the chain and leave it at that. My phono stage inverts so I inverted polarity at the cartridge. So digital and phono are correct to my preamp. My single stage 1626 preamp inverts and my 2 stage monoblocks do not invert so I inverted speaker cables at the speaker. My 2 way horn speakers have both drivers in the same polarity and a positive DC signal on the + terminal moves the woofer cone outward.

So I beleive my audio chain preserves the polarity from source to speaker (ignoring phase shift from 2nd order woofer xover, horn driver uses 1st order). Recordings that are not in correct absolute phase or were phase is different for different instruments/performers will not sound as good as they could if the recording engineeres had been more careful but I don't generally have the time to worry about this. Some recordings are not that great for a lot of reasons including phase, but I still enjoy listening to them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.