Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

I wasn't thinking of shielding Rick ....Power Supply !!

Rick,

I like a SET amp chassis to be all steel, 12 or 14 gauge, welded corners, for good shielding.

What I was thinking about was MORESO - the power supply configuration, to get that "DEAD QUIET B+" in a SET amp design.

As you and others may likely recall, my contention for YEARS up here : is that ANY AMP with any 10 HENRY rated 60 Ohm to 100 Ohm choke, and caps over about 50 uF in one spot, can NEVER EVER play the musical experience as good as a LSES ( low stored energy ) L1/C1/L2/C2 supplied amplifier.

As a matter of fact, just this afternoon I had a chance to compare such a LSES amp, ( a 2015-made DC Type 45 prototype ), to a well-regarded Yamomoto A-08 Type 45 SET amp.

Both amps were tested on an "amazing-to-me" ALTEC A-4 system, 110 dB efficient ( which is four 515C woofers - horn loaded into 210 enclosures - unloaded @ 440 pounds each, using two ALTEC 288s, and two ALTEC 8 cell horns ) in a spacious 25 by 45 by 14 foot high listening room, a historic 1911-designed Firehouse in Kansas City.

That lesser filtered LSES supplied amp "easily and completely" put the Japanese amp to TOTAL shame, in every area of listening I could evaluate and think of, dynamics, bandwidth, timbre, imaging and a general overall feeling of " you are there ". The LSES amp is NOT "dead quiet" .... but the Yamomoto A-08 45 amp owner now will be selling his amp. It only took him one and a half A-B passes, of vintage Muddy Waters, to hear it all.

I had to drive 580 miles to get this amplifier evaluation done, took four visits to two high efficiency audio systems over two months !! I wish Mr. Yamomoto were there to hear what we two just heard. It would have changed his life and audio priorities.

Cheers Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.