Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Audio transformers and hi-resoluition digital

>> "Then please tell us what the point of it is if not the highest frequency sampled.

That is, what makes it high resolution?" <<

For clarity, sampling frequency is not the highest frequency sampled - there is usually a low-pass filter before the sampling begins. The Nyquist criteria specify a minimum sampling frequency based on assumptions about the signal's bandwidth. Using a higher sampling frequency allows more bandwidth between the highest audio frequency and the Nyquist frequency (half the sample rate). This broader bandwidth in turn allows more gentle anti-aliasing filter slopes. As far as I can tell there is no consensus between the subjective effects and the known science about how valuable that may be - but many including myself have heard improvements with higher sample rates and the associated better filters. I do not pretend to be an expert on digital audio.

The other aspect of the term "resolution" is the number of bits accuracy - typically 16 vs. 24 bits for audio. This is generally regarded as affecting the noise floor rather tan the frequency response. Again, the subjective and objective understandings are not yet in agreement, and again I do not pretend to be an expert.

I practically never go to the Digital forum but I'm sure there are more extensive discussions there, and probably many who do regard themselves as experts ... :^) We at Bottlehead have been working with John Swenson, and I have great respect for his expertise, for whatever that may be worth.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.