Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

On year 27 and still going forward

All,

27 years ago I was talked into making my first SET. I was like nobody is going to buy a sub 10W amp so I made a 845 driven by a 300B which had a gain stage of 6SL7/6188/5691 (sound familiar?) dual 5R4 rectifiers on a 80 pound chassis.

Then 2 months after that was working I ran into Mike Marx of SND tube sales at a ham fest. He had a whole box of Tung Sol square plate 45's that looked brand new. I started working with them, when a college called me and said they had some old WE91 amps and tubes and asked if I wanted them. In the box a number of NOS 300B's. Most of the 274's were crap but some 300B's were still in their WE box totally secure. After that I really didn't look back.

Some of my all time favorite amplifiers:

VT52 yea I love em, bringing silvers back to RMAF if you want to hear them.

RE604, RE134 combo, man those Tele's are sweet.

45's made over 100 different 45 amplifiers, some silver cobalts sounded great.

300B I call this the diminishing return SET tube. You really can't do better than this tube ever for SET if you want the most for the least. New Cardinal Classic at RMAF. Also the Silver Reference Cardinals.

71A love this little tube for headphone amps, preamps and dacs.

Everyone for RMAF stop by, we will have new Plasma Speakers from Vaughn Loudspeakers, running the gammit of digital audio.

Thanks,
Gordon
J. Gordon Rankin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • On year 27 and still going forward - Gordon Rankin 11:09:22 09/28/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.