Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Variability and context

"I am suggesting that a proper investigation of such phenomena must recognize a vast range of variability, between subjects..."

But if the issue under investigation is that a specific person has asserted that he hears the difference in sound when a wire is reversed, it doesn't matter what abilities any other people may or may not have. The person in question has made a definitive statement that he can hear the difference between the two directionalities of the wire. Either he can demonstrate that claimed ability to the outside world in some set of objective tests, or else, for all practical purposes for the rest of the world, his alleged "ability" has no utility, and in fact no meaning, if no test is capable of supporting his claim.

Your sentence I partially quoted above went on to say "...and even for one human subject in different CONTEXTS. Important point, CONTEXT." I would be perfectly happy to let the person in question qualify his assertion with any list of restrictions and caveats as regards context that he cares to specify. But, of course, the more restrictions on context that he makes, the less powerful his asserted abilities will appear to the outside world. In the extreme case where he claims the ability to hear the directionality of the wire, but with the caveat that he is not able to demonstrate that in any objective test setup whatsoever, then as far as the outside world is concerned, his "ability" becomes operationally indistinguishable from having no such ability at all.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.