Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Ignore the doubters!

hey... just to have some fun here...

That same 171A coil wrapped in a modern core (such as M6 or better) will have much better performance specs.

by what definition of performance?

Re thin lams....I have some .006" thick nickel and it is fragile as hell but with C-cores even .001 is rigid. I'm not making a judgement just noting differences between the stamped vs. tape wound topologies. I typically use non-oriented materials and tend toward stamped laminations where the only two main differences between the cut core and stamped lamination are lam thickness and gap size. I'm not saying thinner lams are better... just making the observation and in the case of amorphous material which is .001" thick, a c-core is the only option.

Now when we move onto gap size, the Cut cores have two discrete gaps that cover the area of the core. This means that the smallest gap possible depends on the finish of the mating surface. A while back there was a company offeing cut tape wound cores with a stepped surface to increase the surface area of the gap which makes it effectively smaller. With stamped laminations you have the option of alternately stacking the laminations which greatly increases the surface area of the gap making far smaller gaps possible than with cut cores. So to answer your question... for a given coil and core geometry a power transformer stacked with 1X1 EI laminations will have far less magnetizing current than a pair of C-cores in a shell configuration since the stamped laminations allow for a much smaller effective gap.

For years people have asked me to use 80% nickel C-cores for my autoformer since 'C-cores are better'. I try to explain that if I were to move to a cut core I would end up with a maximum of 1/10th the possible inductance of a 1X1 stacked EI configurtation. If all your sources are 50 ohms then it isn't an issue but in the real world we need to do some pretty nasty stuff to meet that goal so I opt for the EI lams as the best option.

dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Ignore the doubters! - dave slagle 07:36:29 09/22/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.