Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: My 3 years to the goal of the non-compromise SET and still learning..

I'm not an expert on c-cores and prefer not to use them whenever possible...
currently I think we only have one product that is built on a c-core and that is because it was originally built on stamped laminations--- of an odd shape which was known back in the day as Westinghouse lams--- they have been obsolete for many years--- so in this case we use a core core which can replicate the shape and dimensions of the original Westinghouse lams.

And our TL-404's are banded by a friend of mine in NJ who has a mil spec transformer manufacturing facility.

As I understand it--- when you assemble c-cores there is an optimum amount of pressure that should be used to close the air gap as much as is practical as well as to keep the cores physically stable--- varying the amount of the "closing force" can be illustrated by measuring the inductance of the trans--- you want the force necessary to maximize the L.

And usually (again, as I understand best practices to bee) it is preferable to use two bands side by side (i.e., symmetrically placed along the D dimension of the c-core) to equalize the compression wrought by tightening the bands.

The method your tranneys use... two fiberglass pc boards... with bolts on all four corners... my first thoughts were can you get the optimum clamping pressure without the boards first bending... and my second thought was that you'd want to probably use a "torque wrench" so that you could have equal pressure on all four bolts.

My hunch is... but it is only a gut level intuition... that the bands are better in the respect also of "squaring" the c-cores... that is making sure that the two halves are properly seated squarely over each other...

your tranneys looked like (from a distant photo) they were assembled well...

I am always surprised at how many c-cores I see that fail this basic performance and quality construction step...

MSL

Builder of MagneQuest & Peerless transformers since 1989

Edits: 09/21/15 09/21/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: My 3 years to the goal of the non-compromise SET and still learning.. - mqracing 14:37:28 09/21/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.