Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Ignore the doubters!

"I first heard about directionality of wires from Pierre 20 years ago. I have no doubt that the worked hard to develop this acuity and he seems to be consistent in his ability to identify it.

Pierre's design partner was/is? an actual working physicist in a top government research facility, by the way"

This is hardly the first or last time someone with impressive academic credentials has endorsed implausible audiophile theories.

But the fact remains none of these theories have ever seen commercial application nor are they ever proven by fellow engineers or research scientists.

IMO, all this audiophile snake oil started about in the early 1980s. That's 35 years ago and yet nothing has ever been proven in commercial applications. Surely in 35 years of electronic and scientific progress just one of these outlandish theories should have been replicated and the causes found?

Furthermore this stuff seems to be without exception entirely based in high end consumer audio. No where else that I know of in the electronics industry as a whole do we hear about these strange theories that defy practiced electrical engineering knowledge of the past 100 years. Again what is so specialized about base-band audio electronics?

Over on the tube DIY forum I posted a link to the first commercial broadcast VTR in the late 1950s as an example of tube electronics of the day. If you bother to look, the video signal path takes up over 5 11x17 pages of dense circuitry. And that doesn't count the servo systems to control the mechanical tape to rotating heads interface. Now look at the audio electronics. One page of a fairly simple circuit! So much for all this "ultra wide bandwidth audio requirements" we often hear on this forum.

If these audio voodoo theories like "wire direction and sound" apply to base-band audio, that is 20-20,000hz, then shouldn't they be immensely more critical at DC to 5mhz? Yet none of this voodoo was ever applied to analog video circuit design - I know, I started in that sector of electronics.

Edits: 09/21/15 09/21/15 09/21/15 09/21/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.