Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: My 3 years to the goal of the non-compromise SET and still learning..

Yes...

"If you mean the steel strip that bands many C core transformers - no, they aren't banded. They are tightened with non-magnetic rods (brass) and thick fiberglass panels.
The panels only tighten the cores together, but do not touch the coils, so there is no damage to worry about."

That is what I was asking about. Thank you for your response.

A quick note... many builders I know (including myself) prefer to use non-magnetic phospher bronze bands as opposed to steel material.

As opposed the the panels being made from FR4 board material I would look at using brass due to it's superior rigidity.

Hey, you've shared some good ideas... which I've enjoyed thinking about... and like I said in my first reply, I like your chassis aesthetics (wood with metal sub-plates)... and I suspect that your combo MAY have some sonic benefit in terms of damping and resonance control (behaviour).

That said I am from Missouri (skeptical) of the efficacy of the wood pucks but appreciative that you've not been evangelical about this or any other points you've presented.

MSL

Builder of MagneQuest & Peerless transformers since 1989

Edits: 09/17/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: My 3 years to the goal of the non-compromise SET and still learning.. - mqracing 12:30:24 09/17/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.