Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: You May Express Your Dismay

Hello, Peter!

Any chance you might make it to Denver-- RMAF 2015? I might be found hiding out in Room 418 at times.....

I'm pretty much in agreement with you on your digital, and especially, Redbook's potential. Every once in a while, I find a Redbook recording that is musically stunning-- accurate presence, detail, correct tonal colors and splendidly accurate depth of images combined with great dynamics. Then, there are all those other CD's-- not so good.

The same always was-- and still is-- true of LP records, only a few studios ever put good sound on those, either.

A vinyl only guy until very late into the digital age, I never liked digital until I ran across a really stable CD deck coupled to a really good D/A converter. That combo changed the whole thing. I said the WHOLE THING.... everything that's real-- and great-- about musical playback done right.

Without naming anyone, I can state that I never liked computer audio until I heard a PC with a really large, good linear power supply, using Windows Media Center, using really correct interfacing from the computer to the D/A. After that, I REALLY liked it! I never heard anything but fake "music" coming out of a "Mac" computer-- even the heavily modded ones. It can sound "good", but it's just NOT REAL!

The same is true with High-Res. You try to play the good recordings on equipment that doesn't change the music in some way. When that happens (it has lately-- to me), the resolution then shines through, and music can get better yet. I say "can" because correct playback of Hi-Res material is getting much better at the expensive High-End, but is still in its infancy.

I have a Blu-Ray disc of the Eagle's Farewell Tour-- Melbourne, Australia. This show sported a good venue, (Laver Stadium), a fun audience, the best artists, and undeniably awesome electronics used to play and record the live music.

The audio on this Blu_Ray is simply stunning in its presence, honest detail, and life-like, accurately layered, clean, and clear dynamics. "You are there" is an understatement! EVERYTHING is there!

Blu-Ray playback isn't super Hi-Res, but it is almost "lossless". It's just a bit above Redbook on "resolution" numbers. It's the recording and playback equipment and performing artist's understanding of how to use their instruments and electronic equipment that counts.

Blu-Ray sound is still in its infancy also. And, I think, so is vinyl LP sound. I have a lot of vinyl and have some very good playback electronics-- some of it had to be built here because nothing out there would really do it justice. (ever heard a good phono or linestage preamp?) I NEVER heard one-- not anywhere! I had to build one and ignore all the "rules" regarding vinyl playback to get records to sound like live music. Once the playback problems were addressed, it was great also. On about one out of each thousand vinyl records, that is!

Most of those old records were junk, and still are with most newer LPs. Once again, it's the performers, the studio, and the electronics that either make or break it.

The recording medium isn't the most important thing at all. The performance and the quality of the mikes and electronics used, the characteristics of the venue, and the performing and studio artistry present at the event are the real deal.

---Dennis---

Edits: 09/02/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: You May Express Your Dismay - tube wrangler 02:06:49 09/02/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.