Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: I'm tired of people running down Audio Note (UK)

Yes Peter, i not say what the best quality cores are and it makes not so much sense to tell because it depends on the deisgn.
I can see you are not a designer but a salesman. You try to say that is all about sound but you forget that physics and other technicians did all the work....

Lets focus on some AN transformers and why i think it is about sales techniques and not about (audio) quality.
The AN c-cores can be bought for SE and PSE and they have the same dimensions.Really? As a designer i can tell you that it whould have a hugh effect and the (technical)performance (and so also on sound) there is no possiblity to get the same quality without getting worse low frequancy bandwith or copperloss. So bad designs.

It is also possible to change the cores for a Permalloy core. Permalloy (any permalloy) has a much lower maximum extitation leven, typical 1,5T (50-55%) versus 2T for HiB. You can not do such a change without doing a compromis. Low frequancy reponse will be less good or less power or higher copperloss. Again not the best design

You can not compare such transformers

Because the models are mostly SE models we should remember that there is always a magneticfield active. Hysteresis differance will be highly reduced, permeabilty will be in all cases low because of the airgap.

There is no manufacture who makes super HiB or Ultra HiB or whatever you name the material AN uses. This is salesman peptalk.

I am just a hobby winder. I am not saying the AN transformers are bad, but they also not special and absoluty overpriced.

Edits: 08/27/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.