Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Frankly, for most digital music, yes (IMO).

This is taking into account the remastering market and so on. Where you find a true high-resolution recording chain, then perhaps, with the right high-bit digital playback systems one can do better. But I haven't found these to be that common.

You can't add resolution to a recording made in 16 bit (or less) by resampling it to higher bit rates. Even if one prefers the sound. The added data is an interpolation and made up - added after the event/recording.

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the music that audiophiles buy was recorded onto analogue reel-to-reel tape. What is the typical S-to-N ration of those classic machines? What is the equivalent audio bit depth? And how about realistic and achievable levels of S-to-N in the home, or perceived dynamic range?

So it is quite valid to assume an alternative approach to fidelity - that of delivering musical digitally with the least amount of computation applied to the data stream as possible, in an effort to retain as much of the original event (and the subtlest audio features) as possible. The more one fiddles with the data stream, the further away one travels from the performance.

Just my experience. [Flame suit on].

Big J

"... only a very few individuals understand as yet that personal salvation is a contradiction in terms."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.