Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: You May Express Your Dismay

Hi Peter,

>"Red Book CD, which is still the best, currently available digital music format."

Do you think this statement is still valid?

So I suffer from delusions and Neophilia? Have you ever met a neophiliac who uses SET amps, all horn speakers, and vinyl? I've recently made the jump into hi-res after sitting on the fence for five years. I'm not a numbers person. My positive statements regarding hi-res are solely from listening to them, and being very impressed by what I have heard.

Let me give you my ratings system;

16/44 = low-res

24/96 = res // and is comparable in resolution to vinyl.

24/192 = hi-res // superior in resolution to vinyl.

I have to say I like DSD even better than 24/192.

Let's face it; 16/44 is what has kept vinyl alive all these years. It's because vinyl has superior resolution, and thusly sounds better.

I've only ever heard your products at shows. I like them. I was on your site researching your products when I found the quote, which scared me off frankly. Please don't be so snobby that you think I don't know what I'm talking about, because I don't have your DAC in my system. The 16/44 format is limited, and that's all there is to it.

When I say hi-res I mean no upsampling or oversampling from a lower res master copy. I mean a transfer from analog tape to a hi-res format. IMHO the increase in SQ from 16/44 would be real hard to miss.

Here's a free tip. Lift Schitt Audio's idea of using a 20bit ladder dac like the AD5791.

----------------------------------------------------------

Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.