Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Nobody here ever said tubes don't need break in. (nt)

Yes SETs are typically "rich" in low even order harmonics.

It might be more accurate to say that the ear is less offended by low even ordered harmonics then it is by higher odd order harmonics typically created by SS gear.

Vanishingly small distortion numbers on SS gear doesn't negate the fact that high odd ordered harmonics have little correlation to the intended fundamental tone.
That is why they stand out so much, despite measuring less then the typical SET.
On the other hand, second even order harmonics resembles the intended material closer, therefor is less noticeable.
What coloration is noticed could be considered an enhancement that fattens up the tone a bit if it is excessive.

There is no doubt that transistors are used in very demanding industrial, mechanical and symbolic digital applications, however handling complex analog audio signals (HiFi) is not their strongest point due to complex inter-modulations created by their inherent distortion spectrum.
(This causes the problems with consonants that I mentioned earlier(Typical SS imparted sibilance))

So IMO it's not a stretch to believe that the last stage has such influence on the sound, as it imparts the biggest change to the signal's voltage level.
It also has to drive a mechanical device in an acoustically believable fashion, without creating excessive amounts of offensive distortion.
It's more about finesse and dexterity then slew rate or outright power handling.

△This message will self destruct in 10 seconds△

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.