Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Nobody here ever said tubes don't need break in. (nt)

It seems to me after reading this that a bunch of brilliant chemistry and physics Phd's took on an electronic design project thinking, "hey, we are Phd's, not lowly engineers. Surely we can build this rig ourselves".

Did you have a competent EE on your team? It doesn't look that way to me. These are very basic problems that should have been caught early in the blueprint phase.

" This was because of high capacitance in the dectors and having to pass through the high voltage section, which required blocking caps as well."

So you had to decouple the high voltage DC in that area? OK, the person that design that circuit didn't know that while it was in the blueprint stage?

"Because of the high frequencies we had ringing from the signal bouncing up and down the coax cable due to impedance mismatch. This required months of optimization and measuring return loss with a $100K HP network analyzer. We eventually redesigned the circuit to deliver more than 40db return loss (originally was only 6db)."

This is basic transmission line theory. As an RF engineer myself I find it hard to believe an experienced engineer wouldn't know to properly terminate coax cables in an RF application within the design stage.

"Nothing of the actual circuit elements were changed though, only the geometry of the parts layout (funny stuff RF)."

Yeah, what can I say. RF is tricky yet many engineers have mastered this so called black art.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.