Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Many Times...

"but the ability to hear a tiny change superimposed on a large background signal. "

Depends on the nature of that signal. I can, for example, see a very tiny emission in a huge background if the detector is atuned to that tiny emission (perhaps you are familiar with ICP-OES for the detetction of metals?). I can detect sub parts per billion if the conditions are right. A human can tune into extremely small sound changes when it is correlated with the music. You can hear well below the actual noise floor in some cases.

"I only want to emphasise the point that sometimes one may be able to disprove an assertion about a claimed audible change by demonstrating that the change in the output from the amplifier is so much below the threshold of audibility that one can unambiguously rule out the assertion of a real, as opposed to imagined, effect. I think that the alleged "breaking in" of a solder joint would almost certainly fall in this category.
"

Fair enough but where is that unambiguous limit? And if a lot of people hear it despite the cliam it can't be possible?? Then what? Mass delusion is what you would assert?

"My experience, and my deductions based on order-of-magnitude estimates using standard physical principles, leads me to conclude that the effects would be way too small"

Maybe you are right but how are you making thes estimates? Gut feeling? How do you know what the human psyche drills in on and get's annoyed with. Haven't you ever noticed the effect that all is fine and then someone points out something to you that you never noticed before and then you find it impossible to tune it out after that (not just audio but also visual or personal)? I find in audio that when people are ignorant of certain effects they simply gloss over what we hear very easily. Once down that hole you cannot go back and "unlearn" the training. You are sensitized. Things to others that seem "trivial" or "inaudible" are no longer the case. Where are your orders of magnitude then? Is it all in their heads as some claim? I don't think so in many cases (for sure in some though).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.