Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Let's step out of audio for a minute!

You are reading too many audiophile magazines. Why not trying some electrical engineering texts if you really want to learn this stuff.

1) Yes, I have seen those jitter demonstrations from audiophile magazines. One I remember in particular showed jitter causing inter modulation components, which is what jitter does. However it was 140db down from reference level. Now if the magazine author and the audiophiles who soaked it up were to have studied electrical engineering, they would realize no human can hear -140db from reference. No speaker ever made is that sensitive either. And no power amplifier has a noise floor even close to that - especially a tube amp, and a SET is worse yet in terms of noise floor.

2) Malcolm Hawksford discovered nothing that has not been known since at least the 1920s. Skin effect is well known and does occur above DC, even at 0.1hz. However did the audiophile rag where you read that show any quantified numbers. If you do the math and understand electrical engineering basics, you will easily see how skin effect at 20khz is irrelevant.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.