Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Nobody here ever said tubes don't need break in. (nt)

"So, to you if there is no formal information on something then it doesn't exist? Maybe the transformer is the victim of pre-conceived notions and not many people decided to find out if there was a break-in effect?"

I think there is sometimes a tendency to fantasise that things are more profound and complicated than they really are. It is maybe nice to dream that one's home stereo amplifier is going to reveal deep truths about fundamental electrical principles that have been overlooked by all the EE experts for decades. But maybe a home stereo amplifier really is just the rather simple piece of electronics that others say it is. It doesn't have to deal with the demanding circumstances of high frequencies or high currents that EEs have learned how to cope with in much more challenging areas in electronics. Perhaps it really is just a rather trivial application, after all.

If those who speak of all these subtleties in audio reproduction were able to demonstrate in proper double-blind testing that they could actually hear the effects they claim to hear, then it might be more convincing. But evidence from such tests seems to show that people, even "pros," are hard pressed to distinguish between *any* pair of amplifiers that have reasonably low THD if their frequency responses have been matched if necessary by means of simple RC networks.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.