Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: It is human nature, they kind of invite the problem

Personally I liked Audio Note's Level Minus 1 and 2

Level Minus Two: Class B push-pull transistor amplifiers, no Audio Note amplifiers in this Level

Level Minus One: Class A push-pull transistor amplifiers, currently no Audio Note amplifiers in the Level

In other words - Audio Note's entry level is better than anyone's SS amplifiers. Level Zero is the beginning of quality music reproduction.

And after reviewing the Level Zero I-zero amp which dethroned my long time favorite Sugden A21 rather easily and which costs 50% more money than the I-Zero that is a pretty good showing. The DAC Zero is still non oversampling and is unlikely to be bettered for under $2k and the AX Two speakers are $500 less expensive than my KEF LS-50 and sound better than the LS-50. Start adding it up and they come well well under competitors as a system.

And I maintain the lower levels of the AN E, J and K are already firmly in the bargain camp compared to what is out there. You can get an AN J for $4k and a K for under $3k.

And the OTO - well I have the older one now for the last 12 years and couldn't be happier - the fact that I can sell it for what I paid for it - (ahem so tell me about cost again) is a bonus.

Indeed, Resale value should factor into these conversations. What is the NET cost of the product and If I buy a $2k Audio Note amp in 2003 and in 2015 I can sell it for $2k I lose inflation BUT if I had bought (enter pretty much anything else here) for $2k in 2003 I am very likely to get MAYBE $700 in 2015 and if it's Chinese or most solid state I'd be lucky to get $300. I lose the inflation and well over $1000.

Granted it doesn't work with all AN stuff but when the company keeps the same product in the line for 2 decades and every two years the price of the thing keeps going up then it will hold resale value. If you bought those (enter name of most SS amps) where they changed models every two years the perception is that they were changed for a reason - like they sucked and needed to be fixed in some way. In 10 years the OTO Sig iss likely to be priced at over $9,000. If you buy one today for $6,000 then in 10 years people will see the $9k price and when you sell yours for $6k the second hand buyer will see it as not a bad buy. Plus they won't want to wait 8 months to get the new one.

Edits: 08/22/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.