SET Asylum

RE: Does any one feel vindicated by TAS' editorial? nt

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ SET Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Peter Qvortrup write a lovely piece many years ago on the WE 300B that is no longer on the net (some problem with it) but he noted that (not exact quote) - that whenever someone tells you something is better, ask him how much it cost to make.

The industry wants to package cheap high profit margin gear - it's far easier and cheaper to write technobabble white papers than it is to build quality sounding amplifiers and then spend the time demoing the gear (and customers need to spend their time as well and dealers do too.

It's much easier make a 500 watt amp with .005% THD and put in a big heavy box. Measures great under the parameters that the SS makers created.

I remember when CD players came out - I looked in my manual and what do I see - Wow and flutter. Seriously? Wow and flutter for CD - there is no reason to have that spec except one - because the numbers are low - some even wrote "vanishingly low" LOL.

Yes that was simply to make turntables look bad. The fact that good turntables have wow and flutter numbers that can't be actually heard is irrelevant - the CD could advertise that it is was lower.

Peter Q talks about feedback starting at about 3:30 in layman terms. Basically what Atma-sphere is saying regarding to volume level and the way things are currently measured.

Follow Ups: