SET Asylum

Gordon Rankin had one in his Wavelength Audio...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ SET Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

line-up some time ago. IIRC, Enjoy the Music may have done a review on it; I think I still have the review somewhere if you would like me to have a look and email it. I think Wavelength still has spud amps in their line-up, though I am not sure if if the 20A is one of them.

I have thought about building such an amp, though despite the single tube they are probably expensive to get working well. Well designed and built circa 14K primary transformers don't come cheap (Hashimoto has one though) and I would rather go all-nickel parafeed for such a beast, alas... Three other concerns for a DIY effort: (1) I don't know if such a beast would be suitably dynamic and have enough musical meat on it's bones, (2) with series feed, would the high gain and impedance make it more or less susceptible to power supply ripple, and (3) what DC filament scheme to use?

I might again consider building one of these someday... my pending speakers should only need about 2W to meet most of my needs so could significantly reduce the step-up, especially if my source puts out a little more voltage than the standard.

Cheers.

Follow Ups: